SHEMA YISRAEL ADONAI ELOHEINU ADONAI ECHAD


Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Teaching Goals

Which is the best teaching method? This is a question I have often pondered. The answer to me lies in yet another question. What is the goal for teaching? To put it in an even more personal way, "What is my goal in teaching? There is so much at stake when it comes to choosing the appropriate method for one's children. Had my goal been intellectualism or academic excellence, I might have chosen a different route. If on the other hand I was focused on raising socially acceptable and adaptable children by worldly standards I would perhaps go with the public school option. Protection for my children is my duty, however it's not the reason for which homeschooling has become my perfect choice.

I am very much set on taking the homeschooling path. The main reason I have elected to do this is one of faith. The purpose for my choice, "Raise a generation of G-d fearing people, who will glorify God in their lives". Easily said, but not as easily put into practice. For those who know me and are surely aware of my flaws, I would say. Though the task is indeed monumental and I am but a feeble being I have high hopes of success. Why such confidence? It is because I am not relying on my own understanding and wisdom. Had I trusted in myself, I'd be on the road to failure no doubt. But I am determined to "trust in the Lord with all thine(my) heart". I will acknowledge Him from whom wisdom comes, and then only will I be able to succeed.

I have seen academic excellence, good character, and well mannered children that are all the product of schooling at home. All of which are commendable. Yet will I concentrate on obedience to God's word and seeking first His Kingdom. I pray for His guidance through the Ruach HaCodesh (Holy Spirit). After all "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom".

For this reason I decided that Torah study shall be first priority. We will concentrate on each child writing their own copy of the Torah. To this we will add other subjects, such as Language Arts, Reading and Math. Eventually we will cover other Jewish writings, such as Perkey Avot. The basic pattern we will aim to emulate is one found in Josephus' writings, that being God's chosen people's way of education.

I am so thankful for those who came before us and setting high standards. And mostly thankful to my Lord Adonai for all he has done and is doing in our lives. Praise be to Him, Baruch Adonai Atah Melech HaOlam!

No comments:

Post a Comment