SHEMA YISRAEL ADONAI ELOHEINU ADONAI ECHAD


Saturday, October 16, 2010

Birkat Hamazon

Some time ago I took it upon myself to teach my kids the Birkat Hamazon. The Birkat Hamazon, is basically the blessing said after meals. This blessing is based on Deuteronomy 8:10 "When you have eaten and are satisfied, you shall bless the LORD your God for the good land which He gave you". Even though this blessing can be read, it is customary to sing it aloud on Shabbat and other special occasions. Well, I had wanted nothing more than to learn to sing it since long ago, but didn't know the melody; until recently that I found a podcast with the blessing which I now have in my ipod. It's so convenient learning it this way because it gives me the freedom to listen at any time I choose. On Friday however, I found this video that I just loved. Here is a way that I think would be perfect for the kids to learn. I'm posting the video here should anyone want to learn it.

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to know where you found the audio for Birkat HaMazon. Also, when is it that you recite this blessing? I know it's after a meal including bread, but is it said everyday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it it said after meals including bread throughout the week. It can be read to yourself, but you can add the melody after Shabbat and other special occasions such as the Feasts.In the podcast Rabbi Dovid Bendory explains very well when and how to say the blessing.
    I found the podcast in iTunes. You can look up: Brachot - The Art Of Blessings
    Episode Birkat HaMazon Grace After Meals (29 Kislev 5766
    Thanks for your question Lina. =)

    ReplyDelete